Friday, July 30, 2010

What do you do when your parents dont aprrove of interracial marriage/or dating?

Okay so im white and my boyfriend is black.We've been dating for a few months and its kinds getting a little serious.My mom is ok with that but my dad isn't.He always talks crap and tries to bring me down because he don't like it.What should I do?What do you do when your parents dont aprrove of interracial marriage/or dating?
Have you asked your dad EXACTLY what he objects to?





If the only reason is the colour of your boyfriends skin, then I would tell him that the 21st Century has no room for racist bigots and if he continues like this he is going to end up a very lonely old man, rather than someone who gets to enjoy time with his family and grandchildren.





However, it could be more than that. As a dad, he probably just wants to protect you.





As a dad myself, I've sometimes wondered how I would be if say my son turned out to be gay. I would want him to be happy whatever he chooses to do in his life, but there is a part of me that would be sad and worried for him - NOT because he was gay, but because of all the bigotry and prejudice he would face from others. Like I say, that's just the protective side coming out.





I would never want to do anything to drive my children away, and if I did, then I'm sure a calm statement of fact from one of them would give me the wake-up call I needed.What do you do when your parents dont aprrove of interracial marriage/or dating?
My parents are both white and they divorced three years ago,





My mom is married to a black guy and my dad married a French woman.





I have no problem with it, although it is a little different because no one else in my family is married to someone of another race. I do not have a problem with it though





The thing is though, my mom lives in Georgia and when we all go out for dinner (like 10 of us) we do get stares and you can see people whispering....but that's just the South for you.





Your dad will eventually get over it, especially when he gets to know your boyfriend. It's just different for him, not something he expected!!
Ignore him? He isn't dating him after all, so why would his disapproval make a difference? It dose not sound like it has made a difference in the past if you two are still together, right?
As long as you are living in your parents' home, you don't have much say in the matter. Your life will start when you can move out on your own. my best to you
haha im black and french coinkidink

No comments:

Post a Comment